Friday, May 24, 2013

A Prince Prevailing III



“If two of you…shall agree…”  I feel even when praying alone that there are two concerned in prayer, God and myself…I do not think that a petition which misses the mind of God will ever be answered  (I John 5:14).  Personally I feel the need of leading me in prayer as well as in other matters.”

He found it helpful to start in prayer, not only in meditation, but with a definite request that God direct him in the channels of prayer the Holy Spirit was beckoning him into.

He also found it helpful to make a short list, “like notes prepared for a sermon”, before every time of prayer.  “The mind needs to be guided as well as the spirit attuned.  I can thus get my thoughts in order, and having prepared my prayer put the notes on the table or chair before me, kneel down and get to business.”…

“Overstrained faith is not pure faith, there is a mixture of the carnal element in it.  There is no strain in the ‘rest of faith’.  It asks for definite blessing as God may lead; it does not hold back through carnal timidity, nor press ahead too far through carnal eagerness…”

“I read a testimony… not long ago in which he said that one of the greatest blessings of his life had been his unanswered prayers.  And I can say the same…unanswered prayers have taught me to seek the Lord’s will instead of my own.  I suppose we have most of us had such experiences.  We have prayed and prayed and prayed, and no answer has come.  The heavens above us have been as brass.  Yea, blessed brass, if it has taught us to sink a little more of this ever-present self of ours to the cross of Christ.

Sometimes our petition has been such a good one, to all appearances, but that does not ensure it is of God.  Many good desires proceed from our uncrucified selves…

--More from James O Fraser,  in Mountain Rain


 

No comments:

Post a Comment