Sunday, January 12, 2014

Not Always the Victorious Life

Reflecting on God's purposes for our weaknesses beyond our understanding...

"My migraines [painful trials] weren’t all about me!  God used them to accomplish His good will in many lives and in various ways.  This affliction never seemed like a good idea to me, but His perfect will had appointed otherwise.  He gradually gave me more grace to submit to His will and believe He is kinder and wiser than I could ever be.  I began to learn and believe that this was His loving will for me, not His mean or vindictive will.

"If decreasing the total number of sins that I committed were God’s primary objective, then He would have kept me out of the wilderness.  However, He led me into the wilderness to reveal my sin to me because seeing my sin is good for me and brings Him glory.  It is good for us to see our sin, because when we do, our Savior becomes dearer to us.  When we are standing tall and strong we do not tend to look at Christ—we don’t need Him.  But when we fall flat on our faces, overcome with sin and weakness, there is nowhere elseto look but to the One who has died our death and lived the life we should have lived.  God loves broken and contrite hearts, and we don’t acquire those by living the victorious Christian life.

"It is precisely within the context of all this weakness and sin that our God invites us to lean upon His mighty arm and promises to guide us with unsleeping eyes and a loving heart.  He says to us, “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” (Isa 41:10).  However, that strengthening isn’t always strength for obedience; sometimes it is the more remarkable power to survive our weakness and worship Christ more joyfully because of it.  Our God goes straight before us, and at His powerful Word, crooked things become straight and light shines into darkness.  In all our failures and sin, God’s promises to His children stand steady and true: He will be our sun, our shield, and our very great reward (Ps. 84:11)."


--excerpted from Barbara Duguid, Extravagant Grace


No comments:

Post a Comment