Monday, January 7, 2013

Snapshots of a Christ-Focused Wedding I


The night before departure…

First daughter: “Mom?  Um…I don’t have any shoes for the wedding.”

Can you please not tell me these things just as we are packing up to leave early in the morning?  Which reminds me, your sister doesn’t either.”

Second daughter:  “Mom?  Um…I can’t find that blouse—it’s just disappeared.  Now I don’t have anything to wear to the wedding.”

Son:  “Mom?  If you’re out and you happen to find a pair of shoes, I’ve outgrown my Sunday shoes.  I guess I might be able to wear a pair of Dad’s…”

Three shopping hours later we come home triumphantly bearing three pairs of shoes and one dress, and plans to leave early for the trip have evaporated.  Which matters just a little, since we’re driving 2 hours and then doing all the decorating for the reception.
 
In the morning, along with the 1001 details, we say goodbyes to our best-ever cat (no, we’re really not cat people) whom we opened our doors to 12 years ago when he sat, a meager stray, on the front porch purring to let us know he had found his family.  We’re expecting to have him put down.

On the way up north, the red and blue lights on my tailgate were indeed meant this time for me.  I pull over with dread anticipation.  Yes, (the unnamed person) who put on my new license plates didn’t realize the tabs needed to go in the back.  Yes, officer, we will switch them first thing.  The officer told me, when (unnamed person) gets his license this next year I’ll have to switch his plates so he gets to experience the joy of being pulled over—just for fun.  He let me go without a ticket.

Then there was the ten-minute Costco stop for 200 roses that, thanks to 10,000 shopping Canadians come over the border, and a car accident in front of us, took well over an hour.  With younger daughter trapped in about 10 inches of space with a wall of boxed roses bearing down on her lap to the ceiling.  It was in that moment that I saw the old college roommate and bridesmaid I hadn’t seen in 20 years, across the parking lot.

Hoping to start at 10am, I started at 3.  Hoping to be done by 11pm, I was done at 4am.  Everything converges to create a new challenge and in the middle of the night one wonders about it all.

And I wasn’t even in the bridal party. 

I tell this fraction of a string of misplaced events to come to the main point.  Weddings are wonderful!! Yes, they are worth all the effort, all the planning, all the help of an army of volunteers, all the beauty created and all the details secured.  Because weddings have significance far, far beyond the crazy romantic passion of the couple being married.  Weddings accomplish far more than the sum of their million details and hundred things-gone-wrong.

IF.

If the heart’s desire of the wedded couple, and those closest, most deeply desire that this wedding, this marriage, honor and glorify and draw attention away from themselves to their Lord Jesus Christ.

Robbed of that essential ingredient of highest beauty, yes, the wedding becomes nothing more than just a lot of ado over nothing much.

This past weekend, we had the pleasure of seeing an extraordinary love story unfold into a new life together.   This bride is the daughter of the woman I’ve known since I was 8, close friends since 10, and prayed into the New Year, with or without, since 14.  We’ve shared a long line of prayers for these children of ours, and this is the first wedding. 
 
Tomorrow, five thoughts about the real significance of a wedding, beyond the bride and groom.

No comments:

Post a Comment